Sunday, November 14, 2010

Self Training Versus Formal Training


At work me and another guy split the duties of IT and network technologist for a small non profit. He is entirely self taught while I am formally trained having gone to college and obtaining a Bachelors degree in Computer Information Technology. Now he is good at what he does and I am good at what I do despite our different training methods. I am a lot better at code and software issues and he is a lot better at hands on and hardware issues. So that brings up the question of which is better self trained or formally trained.

The reason I wonder about this is money is really tight and hard right now and I think I have an entirely different skill set I wish I could sell and use. That skill set is in losing weight and working out. And just like my coworker I am entirely self taught in this field. I learned everything by doing it on my own or going to a boot camp or talking with trainers and I feel I have a lot I could teach someone trying to lose weight and or get in shape. And much like my coworker my lack of formal training doesn't hinder me it can actually help me sometimes as I know how to do it and I know how to work hands on so to speak with weight loss.

I wish I could pay for and go take classes and get certified as a fitness instructor or a personal trainer but with money so tight that just isn't going to happen. I have so much I could teach and pass on but my lack of formal training holds me back, no one hires a personal trainer without that certification and or training but that doesn't mean I don't have a lot I could teach. Heck I am fairly confident I could train and workout someone to help them lose weight from all the knowledge I garnered from doing it on my own and from attending boot camps and talking and researching ways to lose weight.

Heck I would love to use my writing abilities to write about my story and get paid too, I just don't know how to go about it and its frustrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment